Winter is on its way out and Spring is in the air. Let’s celebrate Holi with this cool Thandai Ice-cream. If you are wondering what this is, it is a soft, creamy, no churn, easy to make ice-cream. There are three key ingredients to it. The Thandai powder is super easy and made from nuts, saffron, rose petals, poppy seeds and fennel seeds. You can buy this from the store but make sure you buy the powder form and not the liquid. The liquid cannot be use in this ice-cream recipe. Anyway, I have also provided the recipe for the Thandai powder. Once the powder is ready the ice-cream hardly takes ten minutes to prepare. While I have used chopped pistachios and almonds to decorate the top of the ice-cream, as I enjoy the crunchy mouthfeel. However, this is entirely optional depending on your preference. While freezing you may use popsicle or kulfi moulds to make it more fun for the kids. Happy Holi and Happy Fooding Around.
Thandai Ice Cream
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 8 hrs 15 mins
The Holi Special
- 1/3rd cup Cashews
- 1/3rd cup Almonds
- 1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
- 1 Tsp whole Black Peppercorns
- 20 Green Cardamoms
- 2 Tbsp dried Rose petals
- 1 generous pinch of Saffron strands
Ingredients for Making the Ice Cream :
- 800 ml thick whipping Cream (kept cold in the refrigerator)
- 1 can Condensed Milk (sweetened)
- ½ cup Thandai Powder (feel free to add more as per your taste)
- 1 Tsp Saffron (soaked in 2 or 3 tbsp warm milk)
- A few drops of Vanilla Extract or Essence
Ingredients for the Topping of the Ice Cream :
- ½ Tsp Saffron (soaked in 1 Tbsp warm milk) – Optional
- Chopped pistachios and dried rose petals – Optional
Instruction for the Thandai Powder Mix:
- To make the Thandai powder add all the ingredients under Thandai Powder Mix into the grinder jar.
- Grind together to a smooth powder. Store away in an airtight jar, ready to be used.
Instruction for the Ice Cream :
- Whip the cold whipping cream in a large bowl kept over a tub of ice using a hand blender or a cake beater. Whip cream till it stands in peaks.
- Add the can of sweetened condensed milk and fold it in to mix well.
- Next add the Thandai powder along with the saffron soaked milk. Blend together until smooth.
- Pour into an airtight container and freeze. I have used a loaf tin and sealed it with a cling film. You may also use containers like Tupperware that comes with fitting lids.
- When the ice -cream is semi frozen spread over the saffron soaked milk and decorate with pistachios, almonds and rose petals. This is an Optional Step.
- Freeze the container for 8 -10 hours or overnight till your ice cream set and frozen.
- Scoop your ice cream into bowls and enjoy right away!
You can use any regular whipping cream, even Amul will do.
- Serving Size: 8
Leave a Reply