I came across this flavourful platter in the Andamans. It was like a blast of spice and flavours in the mouth. The Peri Peri sauce goes well with chicken but it does magic with the fish. Goes without saying there are two critical elements which combine to make this special…the sauce and the choice of fish. I loved the barramundi but that maybe because of my Bengali roots. You can also use Basa or Surmai. The good news on the sauce is that it’s available off the shelf. So, if you are feeling lazy but still want to impress that someone special, then look for Nando’s Peri Peri sauce. For those who are keen to get behind the intricacies of the sauce, here’s a tip. Use fresh birds eye chili or similar fresh red chilli and temper the proportion according to your spice liking. Happy fooding around!Print
A taste from Greece
For Fish Prepartion
- 700 gms Baramundi, Surmai or Basa Fillet cut into 4 – 5 pieces
- 15 gms Butter
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- White Pepper, crushed
- Lime Juice – 1 Tbsp
- 350 ml Fresh cooking Cream
- 2 Medium sized Onion finely chopped/grated
- 1 tbsp crushed Garlic
- Salt to taste
For Peri Peri sauce
- 300 gms chopped Red bell pepper
- 100 gms chopped Onion
- 30 gms Bird’s Eye Chilli. Can use any other fresh spicy red chillies if these are not available.
- 10 – 12 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp Paprika powder
- ½ teasp Black Pepper powder
- ¼ cup White Vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Marinate the fillets with
- salt, pepper, lime juice. Keep aside for 10 – 12 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan and pan fry the fillet for 10 mins over medium – low flame or till cooked. Flip the fillet in between so as to cook the reverse side as well.
- Transfer them to the serving plate.
- In a wok heat the butter. Add the onion followed by the crushed garlic. Keep stirring over medium flame so that the garlic doesn’t get burnt. When they turn light brown in colour, add the cooking cream along with the Peri Peri Sauce.
- Stir constantly over high heat for a while. The cream will very gradually curdle and release oil, giving it a rich look to it.
- Pour the sauce over the pan fried fish fillet and serve steaming hot with some garlic bread teamed with some soups or salads.
PERI PERI SAUCE
- Add all the ingredients in the jar of a blender and blend to make a smooth sauce.
- Transfer the sauce in a pan and cook for 15-20 minutes on medium low heat.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the sauce cool down.
- Serving Size: 4