As I browse food blogs, I see a buzz for the Noodles in hot chili oil. It’s quite popular and trending because it’s simple and a really tasty meal which can be cooked in ten minutes flat. This express noodle recipe is nothing but cooked noodles tossed in a wonder sauce full of umami blast. The spicy and flavourful noodles is filling and can be a meal by itself. The noodles provides a base dish to which you can add chicken or other meat like prawns, pork or go with vegetables such as pak choi, broccoli, mushroom to name a few. The Szechuan pepper corn is an integral part of the chilli oil which you will get in most Asian groceries or supermarkets else can be purchased online. I have used regular egg noodles but one can also use other varieties like the udon or even the flat noodles. The spice levels in the noodles can be balanced with the amount of spices being used so you can spice it up or down depending on your taste. No better time than winter to try your hand at cooking this popular dish. Happy Fooding Around.Print
- 3 Tbsp chopped Spring Onions or Scallions
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- ½ Tsp Paprika or Red Chilli powder
- 1 Tsp crushed Szechuan Peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp minced Garlic
- 5 Tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tsp Dark Soya Sauce
- 2 Tsp Light Soya Sauce
- ½ Tsp Sugar
- ½ inch Ginger, finely sliced
- 1 Tsp toasted Sesame seeds
- Salt as per your taste
- 3 Tbsp piping hot Oil (any neutral tasting vegetable oil like canola, sunflower, soyabean or even olive oil)
- 2 cups freshly cooked noodles
- Cook the noodles and keep them handy. Remember to rinse under cold water only for a few seconds and also add a few drops of oil through, just to keep your prepared noodles tangle -free.
- Add all the other ingredients (except the 3 tbsp vegetable oil and freshly cooked noodles) one by one into the serving bowl, chopped spring onions, red chilli flakes, red chilli powder (or paprika), crushed Szechuan peppercorns, minced garlic, sesame oil, dark soya sauce, light soya sauce, sugar, thinly sliced ginger, toasted sesame seeds and salt.
- Heat 3 Tbsp of oil in a small pan until smoking hot. Pour the piping hot oil on top of the spices and condiments in the serving bowl. Wait for the amazing sizzle to happen, before topping with the cooked noodles. Toss well and mix together thoroughly.
- Garnish with some more green onion, sesame seeds and cilantro and serve immediately. You may even add a squeeze of lime if you like it a bit tangy.
You may a 1 Tsp of chicken powder if you like and is readily available in your kitchen to the recipe. In case you are adding some chicken powder, it is a good idea to do away with the salt as the chicken powder is high on salt content.
- Serving Size: 2