This is definitely an egg with a difference. Essentially it is a poached egg on a bed of Yogurt and garlic blend, generously drizzled with hot spicy butter. Sounds interesting. I loved the whole concept so much that I wanted to make one for myself. While it sounds complicated, the Turkish egg is quite easy to cook and can be turned around in a jiffy. The good news is that all ingredients are regular items and available in standard kitchens. As you can imagine the method and timing of poaching the eggs is at the heart of this dish which I have elaborated in my recipe. The spice level in the butter can be tempered up or down depending on your palate. The original recipe has Greek yoghurt but not to worry if you can’t get your hands on Greek yoghurt. Good quality, fresh, thick yoghurt will do just as well. If you were in Turkey or the Mediterranean region you can expect the poached egg to be served with Pita bread, but one can serve it with regular brown or white toast or baguette as well. So go ahead and Poach yourself this sumptuous Turkish dish. You will love it. Happy Fooding Around.Print
Turkish Poached Eggs
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
Cilbir (pronounced as Chil-bir)
Ingredients for the Poached Eggs :
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp white Vinegar or Lemon Juice
Ingredients for the Yoghurt Mix :
- 1 cup Greek Yoghurt (room temperature)
- 1 –2 cloves Garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh Dill (Optional)
- Salt, as required
Ingredients for the Spicy Butter Sauce :
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 1 Tsp Paprika (Red Chilli powder)
- Combine the room temperature yoghurt, crushed and chopped garlic and salt to a mixing bowl. Whisk and mix well together. Divide the whisked yoghurt between two serving bowls and set aside.
- Boil water in a saucepan . Add enough water to the pan. When water starts boiling add the vinegar and stir. While the water is boiling, crack the eggs and keep the ready in two separate small bowls or ramekins.
- Use a spatula or a spoon to swirl the water in clock or anti-clockwise to create a vortex. Very gently pour in one of the cracked eggs into the swirling vortex of the water. Reduce the heat and let the egg cook for not more than 2 mins or until the egg whites are set, but the yolks need to be runny.
- Take out the poached eggs and place it gently over the whisked yoghurt in the bowls. Repeat poaching the other egg. Once done take out gently and place over the second yoghurt bowl.
- In a small pan over medium heat the butter till foamy before adding the olive oil. Over- heated, smoky over even burnt butter is Not what we want.
- Once lightly hot add in the red chilli flakes and paprika (or red chilli powder). Keep stirring and cook for 5 – 10 seconds.
- Remove and drizzle the spicy hot butter sauce generously over the prepared yoghurt bowls with poached eggs each.
- Sprinkle fresh dill and serve immediately with some toasted breads or pita breads.
- Serving Size: 1 -2
Leave a Reply