Winter is a season for soups and vegetables so what better way than to create this simple yet popular clear soup. While, the recipe talks about a vegetable soup, you can throw in shredded chicken or shrimps if you would like a non -vegetarian option. One distinguishing factor in my recipe is the fried garlic. It gives a unique edge to the flavour. The soup is more in the Chinese style than continental and quite light actually. Ideal for a light meal with garlic bread rolls or as a starter to a more elaborate dinner. We often have this soup with homemade sandwiches. So warm the hearts of your loved ones with this popular healthy clear soup. Happy Fooding Around.Print
A Winter Favourite
- 1 large Carrot, cut into long strips or rounds
- ½ cup Broccoli or Cauliflower, cut into medium sized florets
- 1 large Onion, diced medium
- 5 – 6 Button Mushrooms, sliced length wise
- 5 – 6 Baby Corns, cut into medium
- 1/3rd cup beans, cut into medium size
- 2 Pok Choy, cut into medium
- 5 – 6 Snowpeas, halved (or ¼ cup shelled green Peas)
- 3 Pods Garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 big Red Chillies, de-seeded and sliced into rounds (can make do with green chillies too)
- ½ cup shredded Chicken (Optional)
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water (you can use chicken stock, in case you are using shredded chicken)
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- ½ Tsp freshly grounded black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Light Soya Sauce
- Salt according to taste
- Heat a deep bottom pan with the oil. Once medium hot add the chopped garlic and fry over medium flame till golden brown. Next add the carrot. Broccoli (or cauliflower), beans, onions. Stir for a minute or two before adding the mushrooms, beans, snowpeas, chopped red chillies and pok choy. Keep stirring over medium high heat.
- Cook for a minute or two before adding the stock or water and the soya sauce. You may add the shredded chicken at this point, if you are using any.
- Let it come to boil, then lower the flame and let it simmer for 6 to 8 mins.
- Once done sprinkle black pepper and some salt as required. Serve piping hot!
- Serving Size: 4