While I write recipes of food we have had in different parts of the world, I keep surprising myself at the rich and diverse diaspora of food we have in the different parts of our own country. Here is one such local traditional street food from Gujarat. Honestly, the Dabeli needs quite an assembly line of ingredients so it’s advisable to prepare some of the masalas and ingredients in advance. Good to make the Dabeli masala, garlic chutney and even the potato filling ahead of the final preparation. This really works well when you have guests so don’t spend too much time in the kitchen making the food. Personally, what attracted me to the Dabeli is the kaleidoscope of colours and the fact that it’s refreshingly different from it’s more popular paav variants i.e the vada paav and paav bhaji. An interesting fact about this recipe. It’s one of those rare Gujarati dishes which do not have any sweet ingredients in it (well, almost negligible, that is). This is truly a savoury delight. This such a sumptuous dish, it can be had at breakfast, lunch or dinner or for that matter as a snack anytime during the day. It’s a one menu meal. It’s also a good tiffin option for kids. A must try this summer. I am sure your family will love the Kattchi Dabeli. Happy Fooding Around!
From the Gallis of Gujrat
Ingredients the Potato Filling :
- ½ cup Onion. Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli powder
- ½ Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 ½ cup boiled Potatoes
- ¼ cup Dabeli Masala
- 2 Tbsp grated Coconut
- 2 Tbsp Pomegranate Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Tamarind Chutney
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for the Dabeli Masala :
- 3 Tbsp Coriander seed
- 2 Tsp Cumin seed
- 1 Tsp Fennel seed
- 1 Tsp Sesame seed
- 3 –4 Cloves
- 4 – 5 Black Peppercorns
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2–3 Dry Red chillies
- ¼ cup Dry Coconut, grated
- 2 Tsp Black Salt
- 2 Tsp Dry Mango powder
- 2 Tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp powdered Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
Ingredients for the Garlic Chutney :
- ¼ cup Garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for the Masala Peanuts :
- ¼ cup roasted Peanuts (crushed)
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli powder
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for Assembling :
- 6 Pav
- ¼ cup Nylon Sev
- ¼ cup Tamarind Chutney
- ¼ cup Onion, chopped
- 2 – 3 Tbsp Pomegranate seeds
- 3 Tbsp Butter
Instructions for the Potato Filling:
- Heat butter in a heavy bottom pan. Add the onion and saute till they change colour and become light golden brown.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, Dabeli masala and stir for a minute or two over medium – low heat. Next add ¼ cup water and cook for 2 -3 mins.
- Add the mashed potatoes, tamarind chutney. Combine and mix well. Cook for a minute more till most of the moisture is gone. Transfer to a plate and top with grated coconut, pomegranate seeds, coriander, peanuts, chopped onions.
Instructions for Dabeli Masala :
- In a pan take the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds , peppercorns, cinnamon and cloves.
- Next add the star anise, bay leaf, sesame seed, dry grated coconut , the dried red chillies, black salt, dry mango powder, sugar and Kashmiri red chilli powder.
- Dry roast on low flame until the spices turn aromatic.
- Cool completely before transferring to a mixer/grinder jar.
- Pour the grounded mixture to a mixing bowl. Now add , 1 tbsp sugar, 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and some salt according to taste. Mix well all together with your hands.
- Your Dabeli Masala is ready. You may store this masala in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Instructions for Garlic Chutney :
- Add all the ingredients in a blender jar and blend until smooth. You may add little water if required.
Instructions for Masala Peanuts :
- Heat a flat bottom pan and dry roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon, star anise and bay leaves. Frequently stir and roast over medium flame for 1 -2 mins. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool.
- In the same pan add the dry grated coconut, red chillies and sesame seed. Roast them together for a minute. Remove in the same plate and allow to cool.
- Once cool add the black salt and red chilli powder.
- Transfer all the above roasted ingredients to a blender and blend together to a smooth powder.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and add the sugar and oil. Mix well together with your hands.
- You can store this Debeli Masala in an air-tight container and refrigerate it and use as required
To assemble :
- Make horizontal cuts in the pav. Generously slather with garlic chutney and tamarind chutney.
- Stuff some of the prepared potato filling and sprinkle generously with some more masala peanuts, pomegranate seeds, chopped onions.
- Press the Pav and roll the side in Nylon Sev.
- Now heat a griddle add some butter to it when hot. Roast the stuffed pav on both sides over low heat until lightly browned and crispy.
- Serve hot with the chutney of your choice.
It is a good idea to make the Dabeli Masala, Potato Filling and the Garlic chutney ahead of the final preparation. They can be stored in air tight containers and kept refrigerated for a couple days. So whenever you want to prepare the Dabeli, just cut the Pav from the middle, smear the chutneys, add the potato masala, top with sev, onions, pomegranates, and toast on tawa using butter. You are good to go!
- Serving Size: 6