If you are wondering where the name came from or what this is let me clarify that this is essentially a small sponge cake that looks like shells. As the name suggests it is indeed a French recipe. Quite simple to make like any other sponge cake. It stays good for a couple of days. Ideal for light accompaniment with tea or as a filler snack anytime the of the day, the madeleine is a good light option. The most important aspect of this recipe as you can imagine is getting hold of the madeleine mould trays which gives the cakes the unique shape. A few tips for the recipe. If you want the madeleine to look really good try the multi-hued version. My recipe has a three-tone madeleine option i.e. normal batter cream, chocolate and light orange. For this one needs to sperate the batter into three compartments, leave one as it is, in the other two add cocoa powder and natural orange extract respectively. Now, you can combine these into multi hue-ed madeleines or make whole madeleine of different hues. It’s up to you. I have honey the madeleines once they are baked. If you prefer you can also use icing or dip them in chocolates or simply dust them with castor sugar. This is quite a unique recipe and once you have the trays, making these mini-bites is literally a “piece of cake”. So do give this a shot. Happy Fooding Around.Print
A “Piece Of Cake”
- 4 large Eggs , room temperature
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup granulated Sugar
- 1 cup unsalted Butter
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp good quality Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp natural Orange Extract
- ¼ cup Honey
- 2 Tbsp Water
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Crack the eggs in a large mixing bowl and whisk them with the help of a cake hand mixer or a stand mixer.
- Add the sugar part by part to the whisked eggs, whipping them with the help of the . Beat them over medium speed till all of the sugar is incorporated.
- Now whisk the sugar and egg mix on a high for till the volume doubles. This should take around 3 – 5 mins.
- Remove the cake mixer and add the vanilla extract and the sifted flour mixture by hand. While adding the flour do so by adding by parts, a few tablespoons at a time. Mix well before adding few more tbsp of flour to the batter.
- Divide the batter equally between 3 different bowls. Add the cocoa powder to one and mix well. Add orange extract to the second and mix thoroughly. Keep the 3 bowl just as it was.
- Cover the bowls and allow them to rest for at least 30 mins to an hour.
- In a small saucepan melt 1 cup butter over medium heat. Remove and reserve 4 tbsp of the butter for brushing the mould pan. Wait for it to cool down for 10 -15 mins.
- Add ¼ cup butter into each of the 3 batter mix( that is ¼ + ¼ + ¼ ). Stir and mix well together. Cover the batter and allow to rest for 30 mins.
- In the meantime pre-heat the oven to a 200 °C or a 400 °F.
- Transfer the batters into three separate zip-lock bags or piping bags. Snip off one corner of each of them. Make sure to a small cut at the corner, just enough for the batter to flow out.
- Brush the madeleine moulds generously with some of the remaining butter. Squeeze and fill up mould shells with the three different batters, lining them horizontally in each of the mould shells. Care should be taken Not to fill up the moulds over Three-Quarter its capacity. We need to keep enough space for batter to increase in volume while baking.
- Bake for 8 – 10 mins or until the edges begin the become crusty and golden brown. The centres of the madeleines should have puffed up by now . You may insert a toothpick to check it should come out clean. Your madeleines are done.
- Remove the mould tray from the oven and allow to cool for 3-4 mins over a rack. Tip them over to pop out the madeleines once cooled.
- Prepare the honey glaze by mixing ¼ cup honey with 2 tbsp water in a bowl.
- Once they are cooled brush each one of them with the prepared honey glaze.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter mix till all are done. (from #12 onwards).
- Allow the glaze to set before serving.
- Serving Size: 6