Did you know that Quinoa is called a “Super food” because it is packed with protein, fibers and a variety of minerals? For those seeking a Gluten free salad look no further. Interestingly, while we also know of this as a “Super grain”, technically the Quinoa is in essence a seed. I got introduced to the Quinoa in Vietnam. Had never heard of it before. The salad took my breath away and since then the Quinoa has become a staple at home as it has an amazing versatility and can be used to prepare a wide variety of dishes other than salads. It is a pretty straightforward salad to make and provides a wholesome start to your meal. You can improvise with some grilled chicken or fish if your prefer some additional protein. I normally wash the Quinoa well and rinse it in a sieve for a few minutes before using. This ensures that the seed doesn’t taste bitter in the Salad. So go ahead and make this Super seed a part of your diet. Happy Fooding around.
Quinoa with Roasted Vegetable Salad
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
Wah Wah Quinoa
Ingredients For Preparing the Quinoa :
- 2/3 cup Quinoa
- 1 1/3 cup Water ( should be double the proportion to the quinoa)
- Pinch of Salt
Ingredients For the Salad :
- 2 medium Zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow Bell Pepper, diced into cubes
- 2 Tomatoes, deseeded, diced into cubes
- 1 big onion, thickly sliced
- 2 medium long eggplants, thickly sliced in rounds
- 1 cup baby Kale or Spinach, medium chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh Thyme ( 1 Tsp dried Thyme)
- 3 –4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 Tsp Dijon Mustard (or any other mustard sauce)
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- In a large baking tray, place all the vegetables along with the garlic. Drizzle 1/2 Tsp olive Oil, sprinkle some Thyme and season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Roast in a preheated oven of 200° C or 400 ° F for about 25 to 30 minutes or until the vegetables have softened and have caramelized.
- While the vegetables are roasting, we can prepare the quinoa. To wash the quinoa, place it in a sieve and hold it under cold water and rinse it for a minute or so. In a small saucepan over medium high heat put the quinoa, water and salt together. Once the water starts boiling, reduce flame and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked. Do add a little more water if required.
Use a Fork to Fluff up the Quinoa.
- Prepare the dressing in a small bowl by whisking together the olive oil, lime juice, mustard, freshly grinded black pepper and salt.
- In a large salad bowl add the spinach or baby kale, cooked quinoa along with the roasted vegetables. Drizzle the dressing and mix well. Can be served warm or cold.
You may also add nuts and cheese to your taste and liking. I often add parmesan or cheddar along with a fistful of nut mix as they both add nutritive value to the salad bowl. Non vegetarians may also throw in some grilled and sliced chicken to this recipe.
Leave a Reply